DIY Tree Branch Removal
***Tree work can result in serious injury. If you have any doubts about doing tree work then don’t do it. Leave it to the expert Tree Surgeons.***
Removing fairly big branches from trees can be dangerous, especially when you’re up on ladders or steps. So make sure:
- Your ladders and/or steps are in good order.
- Have someone with you to hold the bottom of the ladder whilst you carry out the work.
- Never work in windy weather.
- Tie the top of the ladder to the tree.
- One last thing, if its your husband that’s going up the ladder, make sure you have him insured for a large sum of money!
Don’t remove a branch with a single cut as the weight of the branch will tear and damage the trunk
Follow steps 1, 2, 3…
- Undercut to about half way.
- Saw down until the branch breaks away.
- You will now be left with a stub which needs to be removed. A stump left on the tree will die and bring about a fungal disease. Make a clean cut just outside the branch bark collar ridge to the main stem, branch or trunk. That way the collar will have a chance to heal over the wound!
Once you have removed your branch & stump make sure the wounded area where you have just cut is fairly smooth.